Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Heading Out...

...beyond our classroom walls!  I have enjoyed reading Coyote's Guide to Connecting with Nature as a primer for formulating a new outdoor nature awareness program at my school.
I was inspired to formulate such a program after reading Richard Louv's Last Child in the Woods: Saving Children from Nature Deficit Disorder.  How fitting to find an introduction by Louv in this most recent read!

This book has provided me concrete ideas to implement engaging activities through games, investigation, and sensory exploration in the outdoors.  I believe Montessorians in general have a considerable appreciation for the natural world, and are aware of the profound influence it has on child development.  Reading Coyote's Guide has put into action ideas that have percolated in my mind for years!  By no means do I consider myself an outdoor expert, but I am very much looking forward to spending more time learning and exploring in nature with my students.  Providing children opportunities to be in touch with the outdoors will inevitably produce citizens who are careful stewards and protectors of our planet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment